A music that makes you travel as much in the vast Moroccan universe, through all its facets, as in the rich native Innu culture in Quebec, Canada.
Montreal, November 4, 2019 – Pasa Musik (Canada), La Boîte interculturelle (Canada) and 3ZEM (Morocco) will present the result of the musical collaboration between Shauit, an Innu artist from Maliotenam, Quebec, Canada, and Wachmn’hit, from Kenitra, Morocco, during the 6th edition of Visa For Music, which will take place from November 20 to 23, 2019 in Rabat, Morocco.
A press briefing will be held at the Canadian Embassy in Morocco, 66 avenue Mehdi Ben Barka, Rabat-Souissi, Rabat – November 20, 2019 at 3:00 pm.
It is thanks to reggae music, which served as a binding agent that the unlikely meeting between Shauit and Wachmn’hit (official selection of Visa for Music 2016) took place during two artistic residencies in Rabat in May 2019 and in Mashteuiatsh in July 2019.
The fruits of these exchanges can be heard at their official showcase at Visa for Music on November 21, 2019 at the Renaissance at 11pm, at Tabadoul (Tangier) on November 17, 2019 at 9pm, then at the Medina Social Club (Fez) on November 18, 2019 at 7:30pm then at the Backstage (Casablanca) on November 22, 2019 at 9pm. An exclusive live recording event will also take place at Tatmin (Rabat) on November 19, 2019.
Exchanging, getting to know each other and creating together on each of their respective lands a music that makes you travel as much in the vast Moroccan universe, through all its facets, as in the rich Innu native culture of Quebec.
Wachmn’hit and Shauit have built a fusion of cultures, rooted in the history of their respective ancestors and their strangely similar wisdoms, structured around their common values.
To see the details of the program, visit Visa for Music and our Facebook page.
[Translation] I can’t wait to find this beautiful connection created this summer with my brothers from Wachmn’hit, I believe that behind all the differences between two people, two families, two clans, two nations, two cultures, there is what unites us all, the human soul.Shauit
[Translation] The most memorable moment for me was meeting the Innu of Canada. Even if we have heard their stories, the meeting is a real discovery, it is not comparable. In my opinion, the other has no real meaning if there is no exchange.Ahmed Ouahid
- Shauit is an Innu singer-songwriter, originally from Maliotenam in northeastern Quebec. Shauit sings in French, English and in his native language (Innu). Strongly inspired by his Innu roots and traditional music, he fuses several popular genres (folk, country, rock, reggae, etc.) and offers honest, committed songs filled with emotions and personal experiences.
- Wachmn’hit strives to develop a new component of Moroccan musical heritage, while cultivating their commitment to lyrics that speak directly to Moroccans. The group’s influences and ideas are the result of the beliefs, thoughts and lives of each of its members, drawing on their individual and collective experiences within the multicultural and plural Moroccan society, so rich in history, cultures and traditions.
- Les Productions Pasa Musik is a production and broadcasting company. Its main activities are the production of musical shows, the realization and production of soundtracks as well as the diffusion and management of artists. Promoting creativity and diversity, Pasa Musik Productions considers itself a bridge and a springboard for innovative music and related arts. By encouraging artistic crossbreeding, the company contributes to the new wave that brings renewal in the reflection of our multicultural society.
- La Boîte interculturelle (formerly known as Marchande d’idée interculturelles) builds bridges between communities by offering favorable conditions for creation, empowerment and dialogue. These are key elements for the development and active collaboration of the population with whom we participate so that they can share their know-how, customs and cultural heritage while learning about the benefits of intercultural exchange.
- 3ZEM is a Moroccan production company co-founded by Jawad Elajnad and Martine Labbé. Together, they have created a meeting place for different cultural actors, where learning and mentoring with professionals are at the heart of the initiatives. Its mission is to nurture their cultural scene in order to facilitate greater dissemination of projects locally, nationally and internationally, and to help the development of Moroccan artists in general.
For more information
- Patrice Agbokou, Pasa Musik
- Nathalie Lévesque, La Boîte interculturelle
- Martine Labbé and Jawad Elajnad, 3ZEM Productions
Follow Shauit and Wachmn’hit on social media:
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/shauitwachmnhit/
Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/shauitwachmnhit/